Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Waldo Canyon - Manitou Springs, CO

I recently made my second trip to Waldo Canyon 22 years after my first visit. I think a deep childhood trauma has prevented me from exploring it.

When I was 4, my dad decided to take me to his friends' wedding, which was in a meadow about 2 miles up the trail. Before the wedding attendees started out on the hike, they were handed balloons filled with helium that we were supposed to release when the ceremony was over (I know - big no no, but it was the 80's). We pulled into the parking lot, got our balloons, and started heading up the trail. On our first try we made it about a 1/2 mile into the hike before my stumpy legs and resulting short stature resulted in my balloon brushing up against a yucca plant and popping. My dad, good sport that he is, gave me his balloon and we kept going, until my height problem again resulted in a popped balloon. Seeking to avoid me throwing a fit, my dad turned us around, back to the parking lot where we resupplied ourselves. I believe we visited the parking lot two more times that day, in a Sisyphean effort to make it to the wedding with undamaged balloons in hand. By the end, my dad was carrying me, two balloons, water and a scowl. To this day whenever I mention Waldo Canyon my dad shakes his head, growls and mutters to himself; "Stupid hike took forever. Why did I have kids. I hate balloons. Where is my scotch." Since that day I have been hesitant to return to the spot that has caused so much grumbling over the years.

Surprisingly, Waldo Canyon does NOT take forever, and makes for a much better run than hike. The overall setup of the trail resembles a big lollipop. The first section is about 2 miles long, winding up the hillsides before winding back into the Canyon and running through a wide meadow (the wedding site!). This first section is pretty gradual, winding mostly uphill until the last 1/2 mile. About 100 yards past the meadow, the trail splits, forming a 3.5 mile loop (there is an obvious sign). To the left the trail winds up a narrow canyon, following a creek. To the right, the trail climbs steeply up a number of switchbacks, cresting numerous times onto ridges before dropping into the canyon with the creek. I have only gone counterclockwise, which starts with a series of steep switchbacks before leveling out as the trail runs along two ridges and then eventually starts winding downhill into the canyon. It looks like either way is equally difficult as both require steep climbs right at the beginning. Regardless, the views within the loop are amazing; canyon walls, Pikes Peak, Manitou. Great from any direction.

The trails is fairly heavily populated, but it seems like most people stop at the meadow and avoid the loop. The trail is dog friendly too. Waldo is my new favorite run in this part of Colorado, one that definitely makes it easy to come back for more.

Directions: From downtown Manitou, head West on Highway 24 for about 2 miles. The parking lot and trailhead is on the right. Watch for a sign on the right hand side of the Highway that indicates a trail is ahead.

No comments: