Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Coffee is my sports drink of choice

I was not much of a coffee drinker when I was in college. But after moving to Portland, OR I quickly found that coffee was not only the best way to start a morning, but essential to surviving the dreary winter and spring that is a Portland hallmark. My favorite coffee shop in Portland is Stumptown, which roasts its own beans and is slowly managing to work its way into a market dominated by Starbucks. I have found a few nice places in Boulder, among them Amante and The Cup, but nothing has lived up to the sweet elixir that is a double shot Americano from Stumptown.

My ridiculous addiction to coffee has led to trying to pay attention what people write about the effects of coffee. I tend to drink it before I ride or run in the mornings so I'm always curious to see how coffee can effect performance. This article from the New York Times talks about the various health effects of coffee. One of the more interesting bits of information talks about how coffee can improve both aerobic and anaerobic performance. Just another reason to pour another cup.

No comments: